Gunner get my MBA

Sunday, April 30, 2006

We're going to Paris!!! (times two)

Well, as the title suggests, I'm over the moon right now. In this case, there're two things to be excited about.

Firstly as I've said before, the Gunners are going places, and they confirmed it by qualifying for the big Cohuna of Cup finals, i.e. the European Champions League final. The game will be played in Paris, on the 17th of May, and I have a strong feeling that this will be Arsenal's year. In a way, I'm relieved that we got through to the final, after seeing the limp display in Spain last Tuesday night. I guess it's because so much was on the line, that our players (who've switched between the sublime to the ridiculous from game to game) had a bout of nervousness. In the end, I'm glad that it was Lehmann who won the tie for us with his superb penalty save in the 89th minute, and if there was a need for an experienced member of the team to stand up and be counted, then I'm glad it's our German No.1.

So on we move to the final, and to make it even better, we'll be up against Barca, with Ronny and his band of merry attackers who'll be looking to make life miserable for us Arsenal fans. I know that he's officially the world's best, but I see this as the perfect stage for Henry to lay to rest any comparison between the take on the mantle of the world's best player. I also feel that this tie suits us, as we play better when we're underdogs and are written off by critics. We struggled against Villareal when they predicted that we're favourites, so I think that there can't be a better team to cement our underdog status as Barcelona. The way they ripped apart Chelsea and Milan was beautiful to watch at times. Yet.. my prediction is 2-1 to the Arsenal with Henry and Fabregas (ex-Barca youth player) to be the heroes of the night.

Secondly, I've just confirmed that I'll be attending INSEAD. Only that it's not going to be this year but next year. Yupps.. i've got a deferral to the January intake. That's why I've been silent all this while, as I didn't want to say too much before I received confirmation that they allowed my request. INSEAD, like most business schools do not usually give out deferrals, and in this case, they made it clear to me that mine was a special case which given the circumstances would be better for both parties if I started later. I'll elaborate on the reasons later, but some of you readers already know why.

Though I had originally planned to start my MBA this year, and i'll be envious of fellow bloggers who start their program come September, I guess it won't be so bad as INSEAD's one year program means that I'll graduate earlier quickly anyways. Also there's the added possibility of a summer internship and furthermore, I get a bit more time to do a proper handover at work. Not trying to blow my own horn but I know that it will be hard for me to find a replacement and hand over all the work in 3-4 months.

oh well.... I guess I've got enough to think about these next few weeks... till then.

5 Comments:

  • It's great that things worked out with the deferment. As you pointed out, one advantage of the Jan round is the possibility of doing a summer internship which is crucial for career switchers. Look forward to reading about your rationale soon.

    By Blogger sghama, at 3:56 PM  

  • hey..am an Arsenal fan n Im doing my mba too! Congrats on getting into INSEAD, although I have no idea what your special circs were. P.S: any chance of you doing a quick look-see on May 17th?
    lol yeah, the Villa game reminded me of when arsenal had a regular score of 1-0...still thankful dat ball didn't hit d back of d net. Anyways, hopefully we'll have a game to treasure on 17th!

    By Blogger Shriya, at 5:33 AM  

  • hey! congrats!!

    By Blogger nadio, at 10:41 PM  

  • congrats! good choice about the January intake, gives you much more choices for traveling, interning and getting to know a lot of people!

    By Blogger angie, at 1:17 AM  

  • I tried to google around to find the cases on INSEAD deferrals and I am glad that I found yours. You had an exactly similar situation as mine right now. I would appreciate if you can guide me on how to approach INSEAD with a deferral request. I have another 8 days left to make the deposit.

    By Blogger manoj, at 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home